Monday, January 26, 2009

Chicken Soup with Lentils and Barley

Okay, I'll admit it on this one... I started making it and then realized that I had no barley. So I made it without barley and added another half cup of lentils instead. And it was fine!

Chicken Soup with Lentils and Barley

Ingredients:
1 C sliced leeks or chopped onion (I used the latter)
1/2 C chopped green or red sweet pepper (I used green)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
2 14-1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
1-1/2 C water
1/2 C dry lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1-1/2 C chopped cooked chicken or turkey (I poached chicken on the stove for this recipe)
1-1/2 C sliced carrots (3 medium)
1/2 C quick-cooking barley
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up (I bought the ones that were already cut up)

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan cook leeks or onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in margarine or butter until tender. Carefully stir in broth, water, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Stir in the chicken, carrots, and uncooked barley. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or just until carrots are tender. Add the undrained tomatoes; heat through. Makes about 8 cups (6 main-dish servings). (I doubled it.)

No comments: