Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce

I made this a couple of weeks ago using Golden Delicious apples a neighbor picked from his tree for us. I doubled the recipe because I have the ginormous Crock-Pot. I really hate peeling and coring apples, but it can be done a lot more easily using the Pampered Chef apple peeler-corer-slicer (which I don't have!)

Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce

Makes: 8-10 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3-10 hours (I did it on low for 10 hours, overnight, and we had it for breakfast.)
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart

Ingredients:
8 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks or slices (about 6 cups)
1/2-1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp red hot candies (I used one Decor cake decoration bottle full)

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cook on Low 8-10 hours, or on High 3-4 hours.

Recipe from: Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook by Phyllis Pellman Good, though the recipe in the book calls for additional water, and I found that made the applesauce way too watery. Apples have enough water of their own!

No comments: